Maxwell Hodge
For all enquiries, please call free on 0800 6946 660 or call your local office
Text Size      A - A - A

Flying the flag for business

Our first class legal team is specifically designed to give
you and your busines the complete service, with
strength, support and efficiency throughout.

Landlord & Tenant


Landlords renting property to tenants under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement can encounter problems with tenants, such as non-payment of rent. When this happens it can be costly to landlords and worrying. Even if your tenant has paid the rent but the tenancy has expired and you want to obtain the property back, you can. You just have to give the right notice.

Section 8

If the tenant is not paying rent but the tenancy has not yet expired you can consider serving a Section 8 Notice. There are certain requirements to fulfil before the notice can be served regarding the non-payment of rent which will depend on when the rent is paid and how much. For example if the rent is paid monthly, there must be at least two months rent outstanding before the notice can be served.

Once the notice is served you must give the tenant 14 days to pay the arrears or vacate the property. If the tenant does neither, you will then need to issue a claim for possession of the property and recovery of the rent arrears.

Section 21

If the tenancy has expired and you want the property back, you can serve a Section 21 notice. The notice can be served during the last 2 months of the tenancy so that the tenancy ends when it is due to expire. If you do not serve a notice the tenancy will continue to run until you or the tenant give notice to bring it to an end. The notice must be 2 clear months. After this if the tenant does not vacate, you will need to issue a claim for possession of the property.
This can be done using the Accelerated procedure, which is usually a lot quicker. 

We can offer the following services for Section 8 and Section 21 Notices: -


Work Required


What work will be done








Section 8 Notice


Section 21 Notice



Taking your detailed instructions

Considering documents

Drafting and sending Notice

Advising on next steps




(plus VAT)




Drafting Court Documents



 Preparing Claim form

 Preparing Particulars of Claim




(plus VAT)



We can then represent you in any Court proceedings or you may wish to represent yourself. If you choose to represent yourself you may wish to take advantage of our one off services.